When we build or even revamp a website, the following elements are things we will usually request, if we don’t have them already. Each site build is different, so your site requirements might vary. You can download this list, if it’s easy for you to keep track of things as you send them or as we request them.
This would be the login credentials for your Hosting company (GoDaddy, Bluehost, Siteground, or similar), Admin credentials for your WordPress site (if you already have one), and any other places we would need to login to work on your website. Logins for other things like PayPal, Stripe, Constant Contact, MailChimp would also be needed, if integration of payments and other features are being built into your site.
For the most part, your content (unless we’re writing it for you) is something that tells site visitors about your service, company, and ways to contact you. Some sites also conduct commerce, while others offer an opportunity for visitors to book appointments online. Whatever your site will consist of, the following elements are things we’ll be incorporating into the site, so we’ll need these details from you:
- Home Page Content: This is normally the first page a guest will come to when they visit your website. Content here is a short intro to your company, and a blurb or two about what you do, how a customer/client will benefit from working with you or
- About Page Content: Tells a bit about you or your company, your background, maybe some personal stuff (ex: I enjoy hiking and dogs, or we play ping pong in the afternoons in our office.) This of this content as a simple introduction to your business so a guest gets to know you.
- Services Page(s) Content: (if yours is a service business)– This could be one page of content, or several, or we can make elements that tuck the info away in an accordion or tab-like fashion. This is meant to serve as an explanation of the variety of services you offer.
- Products Page(s) Content: (if yours is a products business) – This could be one page of content, or several, or we can make elements that tuck the info away in an accordion or tab-like fashion. This is meant to serve as an explanation of the variety of products you, so should also have related product images.
- Pricing Page Content: If applicable, and for commerce sites, required.
- Contact Us Page Content: Guests will find your address here, sometimes hours of operation, contact details, possible a Google Map, and an online contact form to get more information from you. We’ll know most of these details, but please provide the email address you’d like Contact forms to be emailed to, once a site visitor completes it. If you have specific hours of operation, please share those as well.
- Testimonials Page Content: Optional, but useful
- Resources Page Content: Optional, but useful – typically links or even documents you have to give to customers/clients; allows them to download
Other Content and Links
- Sample Links: Links to other websites you like or would like us to consider for design
- Links to your channels: Your social media channels, email news sign-up, professional organization links
- Professional links: Links and logos for any organizations/designations/professional trade organizations you’d like noted.
- Graphics, logos, artwork: Any graphics, logos you want included in the site. Please keep in mind, the bigger, the better, and high resolution is preferred. Also, please be sure you have permission to use whatever graphics you want us to put into your site. “Borrowing” pictures and such from a Google search is a surefire way to get into copyright trouble! This goes double for written content.
- For Commerce Sites Only: We’ll need commerce details (banking, PayPal, Stripe, etc.,), product weight and shipping details (such as a UPS account), tax details (such as your county/state/municipality) so we can create a tax table for the purchase process. There are other things a commerce site will require, but these are the basics.
- For Sites Accepting Service Payments: Note the above, For Commerce Sites Only section, as you’ll be providing most of these details as well. In addition, if you’re using an online invoicing system (Quickbooks Online, Freshbooks, etc.), we’ll need login details for that service.
If you have questions about other elements we’ll need during the build, just get in touch! The more of this information and we have from you, the fewer delays there will be in building/revamping your website!